Friday, September 26

An Aloha Miracle...

For the past ten days, Linda and I have enjoyed a visit from my mom, Pappy, and Rene.  The whole gang arrived on the 16th of September just in time to celebrate my birthday with friends (more on that later) and experience the Garden Isle in high style.

On top of getting to spend some quality touring time with the peeps, having Mom around allowed Linda to run out on more than one dates during their stay.  On the first date-night, we went to the local cineplex (four screens) and saw a movie.  While we were there, I somehow misplaced my wallet (pictured here).  Fearing the worst, I called the movie theater in the hope of a benevolent usher who might at least return the driver's license and credit cards.  But... when I called Kukui Grove Cinemas, they were pleased to report that my wallet was waiting on me at the ticket booth.  When I arrived, I found that the Aloha Spirit is alive in Lihue.  My wallet, complete with birthday cash,  was right behind the counter with a warm smile from the ticket booth.  
They even asked if I enjoyed the movie.

On our second date, Linda and I went on an extended boat ride up the Wailua River with our friends Walter and Brooke.  We were already grateful for taking us all (the whole crew) up the river to the Fern Grotto, but were overjoyed to find out that Mom, Pappy, and Rene were going to take Cooper for us while we hung out on the river for more longboarding behind Walter's boat.   What a day!
Over the course of the week, we enjoyed a visit to Waimea Canyon, the Princeville Hotel, Bali Hai, and more shopping than you could shake a stick at.  Pappy got decked out in a fine-looking Aloha shirt, while Rene and Mom got all kind of happies for themselves and the rest of the fam.

There's a ton of stories to tell about this past few days, so get ready for pictures and maybe even a video or two.  It was really great to have some family here, even if it was only for just a little while.  The only hard part was saying good-bye to them.  It was really the first time that I have missed living on the mainland because of the enormous distance between family and friends.  In some ways, realizing this was good, because it made me appreciate the people who are so important in my life, but also because it reminded me of how many important people are in my life- in Mississippi, Texas, Tennessee, Florida, Hawaii, and hundreds of places all over the map.  I'm really grateful for these visits because I'm grateful for family... all over the place.


1 Comments:

Lainey said...

Hi Linda,Ben, and Cooper. What a beautiful family in a beautiful place. Carl and I are headed to Hawaii late October. Thought we might spend a day or two your way.